Taisto Smith formed Smith Adobe, LLC in 2013 to provide management services for the Adobe Ranch. The Adobe Ranch comprises over 10,000 acres of rangeland, conservation and farmland.
The farming history of the Adobe Ranch dates back to 1852 making it the oldest known farm in Madera County. The Big House at the headquarters of the Adobe Ranch was originally Fort Bishop, the first structure built on the Fresno River. Fort Bishop was built in 1852 as a trading post and farm headquarters under the instruction of James D. Savage.
The ranch has committed to the preservation of thousands of acres of rangeland, wetlands and vernal pools for the purposes of endangered species habitat.
Approximately 15% of the ranch is irrigated. The Ranch has several sources of irrigation water including senior water rights to the Fresno River, Class 1 water from the Madera Irrigation District for the portions of the Ranch that are in the District’s boundaries; contract water from the Bureau of Reclamation; and groundwater pumped from the Madera Subbasin of the San Joaquin Valley Groundwater Basin.
Copyright © 2023 Smith Adobe, LLC - All Rights Reserved.