The farming history of the Smith Adobe Ranch dates back to 1852 making it the oldest known farm in Madera County. The Adobe Ranch was acquired by a man named Charles S. Moses in 1887. At the time it was acquired by Moses the Adobe Ranch was over 20,000 acres. Over 10,000 acres of the original land holdings have been passed down through Moses' family from generation to generation and are owned by the Smith Family today, hence being colloquially called the "Smith Adobe Ranch." A notable piece of history is that the ranch is home to the historic site where the Six Mile House once stood. Madera's historic lumber flume once transported lumber several miles through the property.